MARTHA’S TABLE TEAM • One day per month, NWCC sends a team of volunteers to serve at Martha’s Table on 14th Street. Throughout the evening, the team hands out soup, sandwiches, snacks and drinks at predetermined locations in DC.
HOMELESS MINISTRY TEAM • In November 2011, we started a monthly program called The Refuge that focuses on building relationships with guests. In addition, we have been consistantly volunteering with other organizations–many with decades of experience–to get a feel for how we might shape our own future initiatives. Our ultimate goal is to have a program that helps meet practical physical and spiritual needs, and to see lives change for the glory of God.
***If you are homeless and would like to speak with a case manager, or if you are a homeless service provider and would like to speak with us about our services/resources, please contact us at 202.829.4223
• Ongoing: We go door-to-door in our neighborhood to collect non-perishable food and monetary donations to
help stock our emergency pantry.
• March 2011: We served dinner at N Street Village’s Luther Place Night Shelter. One of our team
members also stayed and volunteered as an overnight supervisor.
• March 2011: Several team members attended Be the Love’s ”Healthy Helping” seminar, which
focused on holistic, relational approaches to community service.
• February 2011: We served lunch at Rachael’s Women’s Center, and facilitated a photography
activity. Praise God that it was the most well-received activity the staff had seen there! Later, we
fellowshipped by painting the ladies’ nails.
• December 2010 and January 2011: In an effort to further meet the needs of our local homeless
community, the Homeless Ministry Team initiated two community-wide clothing drives. During our first
distribution event in Franklin Square, we gave away coats, gloves, scarves and hats. For January’s event,
we were richly blessed to be able to share homeless resource guide pamphlets, toiletry packets,
blankets, and winter clothing for men and women. As it was the coldest night of the season, Fox 5
news was there reporting and asked Pastor Dan to say a few words.
Here is the story:
• November and December 2010: For its initial project, the Homeless Ministry Team collected monetary,
food and clothing donations for local homeless families whose children attend Powell Elementary
School. Challenging both the church and community to donate, the team–along with fellow Powell
Elementary volunteers–acquired enough food to provide Thanksgiving and Christmas feasts for over 35
Feed the hungry, and help those in trouble. Then your light will shine out from the darkness, and the darkness around you will be as bright as noon.
-Isaiah 58:10 NLT